A creative and relevant approach to Project Based Learning in the classroom through Hip hop culture. Students build an inclusive community, make connections, create a usable public product with high stakes and ownership. This tactic incorporates the “Love for student culture + Respect their genius = collective effervescence.”
Tom McFadden teaches 8th grade science in California
Examples of student work
- Get your shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEX80FNMOfE
- Don’t Kill my Hive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LInhcqqLw
- Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959aWmNsjUs
- Immortal History of Henrietta Lacks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej0b7GHGYjs
Verse 1: Approaches
This works the best as an elective course, club, after school thing- science rap academy. It is hard to do during class time. Forcing students to do this is challenging. Need a simple message- in your repetitive lyrics. Need to know the main point
- Watch- hook, review, call/response
- Karaoke-phenotype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FryDW4BjJhY
- Annotate- rap genius/google sheet
- Rap genius allows you to annotate existing rap lyrics https://genius.com/artists/Rap-genius
- Finish and Rhyme- fill in the plank (Hot water-fill in the planck # 2 )
- Sciencefree.style seve you science words over a science beat
- Verse two- make an existing song with the next verse is blank
- Academic Freestyle: Freestyle love supreme-maya angelou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yClaU0cHDqM
- Beastie rap
- science free. Style
- Freeestyle friday
- This may take years to create the culture. Sciencefree.style http://sciencefree.style/ (make a website in scratch)
- Provide scaffolding
- Be ready to rip it down
- Integrate ELA skills- arguing from evidence
- Apply cross cutting concepts
What is the golgi? By Tom? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqPjwR4gAy0
Second verse is left blank for students
STEP 1: Big question
STEP 2 Research
STEP 3- synthesize everything into one maine message of your vesr below
STEP 4- Claim, evidence, reasoning
First column in normal english.
STEP 5 THen and only then do you fill in the second column-
STEP 6- translate into lyrics
STEP 1 How does genotype communicate with phenotype?
STEP 2 Research
Genotype are the alleles the genetic constitution of an individual organism.
Phenotype is the genes expression, how it is physically expressed
Homozygous, heterozygous, dominant, recessive
Phenotype-the set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment.
one of two or more alternative forms of a gene that arise by mutation and are found at the same place on a chromosome.
STEP 3 Main point:
Genotype is the genetic constitution whereas phenotype is the physical expression based on the genotype interacting with the environment.
Relevant Rhyming Letters
Translate into Lyrics
|What is the difference between genotype and phenotype?||Hype, skype,||I don’t know why there is such a hype between the difference between genotype and phenotype?|
|Alleles are two letters that represent a trait||Meals, wheels,
|Don’t get confused by the spinning wheels.
Traits are represented by the alleles.
|Genotype is made of alleles||Hype, skype
Fade, bade, glade,said,
|Letters make up your genotype
Let’s connect through skype
|Dominant alleles are symbolized by capital letters||Wetters, setters||Dominant alleles are symbolized by the letter
Don’t worry you won’t be a bed-wetter.
Let them build something creative, not necessarily a rap